Apr 3, 2010

I'm Sometimes Dumb

I admit it. I am. Sometimes I do something dumb. Not often. Still .... sometimes. This morning was one of those times.

The past few days I've been fighting a head/chest cold. Grrrrr. I angrily cancelled going to The Bar Method Thursday night and then unhappily cancelled swimming on Sat. BUT THERE WAS NO WAY I WAS NOT DOING THE 5K SCHEDULED FOR THIS MORNING. My second favorite 5K in the world (minor over exaggeration as I've only done a handful of races in the LA area) the Santa Anita 5K has you run through the Arcadia Arboretum and finish on the horse track at Santa Anita Race Track. HOW FUN IS THAT? I wasn't going to miss it. I just wasn't.

So this morning, after coughing on and off during the night, I blew my nose, pulled on my running pants and hoped in the car! I'M THE SMARTEST PERSON IN THE WORLD --- NOT. This route has always kicked my butt. I don't know why. It just does. This morning it's as if my body and the race route got together and said, "let's teach her a lesson!"

The first mile wasn't great but I was on pace for a normal finish with a 9:30 mile. Then it all went downhill. I had been fighting to get enough oxygen. Stuffed nose, chocking on my own mucus ... you see how basic breathing was an issue ... was causing me stress. Then about 1 1/2 miles in my pulse jumped to crazy land. That hasn't happened in a long time and I actually take medicine to stop it. So I had to walk. Walk during my 5K. SO HORRIFYING! I've only walked once before and that was because the hill I was running was practically vertical. I felt like a loser as tons of people passed me BUT I was also aware I had done this to myself. As I tried to slow my heart so I wouldn't black out I finally had time to notice how pretty this run is! I have always known it was but this time, my fifth time "running" (sigh) it, I was now taking the time to smell the roses. I even heard a peacock call out over Sexy Bitch playing on my iPod (I love that song! It's my new anthem.).

Well I FINALLY finished with my worst 5K time EVER --- 36 minutes ish. Grrrrr. Although I'm alive so that is a plus!

My body wanted to make sure it got it's point across and smacked me with a big ol' migraine as soon as I got home. It wanted to make sure I fully understood ... DON'T BE AN ASS NEXT TIME AND STAY IN BED WHEN YOU ARE SICK!

Now I am resting before heading out for my b-day party with friends. Oh yah! There is no way I'm missing that. Screw you body!

No comments:

Post a Comment