Jan 27, 2010

No Pain No Gain

In June of 2008 I joined my friend Martha and E. (non-Martha names protected remember?) for the Danskin Triathlon. It was oodles of fun and I was so glad I did it. The fun I had that weekend wiped out all the pain and suffering of training for weeks and weeks prior to the event. I forgot that my body was so over exercising that race day couldn't come soon enough.

Now it's 2010 and I've signed up for the Pasadena Reverse Tri with my friend G. Overall a shorter Sprint Triathlon than I did in 2008 so should be easy right? Well training isn't. Freakin' freak freak it's not fun. If ANYONE tells you it is they are liars. Liar liar pants on fire. You can tell them I said that.

First of let me explain that my friend G. is a little powerhouse. Her energy is endless, her drive to win can't be matched, and her athletic ability is ridiculous. I'm the exact opposite. I pretend my energy is endless although I'm always exhausted and feel like the walking dead during the day. I don't need to win I just want to finish (hopefully within 30 minutes of G although that may be asking too much). I'm the OPPOSITE of athletic. That doesn't mean that I don't do athletic things it just means my body REALLY doesn't want to and I have to force every single step, peddle, and arm swing.

Let me explain my life "in training". Get up and go to work (unless it is Thursday then get up crazy early and go to Bar Method class first). Work a long hard stressful day at a desk job. Jump into crazy traffic to get home. Then, without thinking because thinking is the enemy here, throw on your work out gear, get out the door, and go. Then when you get home go to bed because to stay healthy with this schedule you need 8-10 hours of sleep. Weekend ... what's that? Get up as early or earlier than you normally would. Hit the pool before it gets crowded or the bike before the crazy drivers hit the streets of Glendale. Then after that go ahead and run 3 miles. Not finished because although this is great for you, the dog is pouting in the corner because he has yet to have any fun. Grab him and the keys and head to Runyon to walk up and down a hill (3 miles - ish which means 1 1/2 at a constant incline) so that the adorable dog can run free for awhile. Then the next day repeat.

I now remember what I had forgotten. That on race day that faithful June morning of 2008 my elbow hurt from swimming, my knee was wrapped, and my only goal was to find a way to get those 8-10 hours suggested sleep.

Here's hoping I make it!

1 comment:

  1. You gonna make it!!! I am doing a tri August 1 in Philly. I love training so much cause it is super super super fun!

    ReplyDelete